Skip to main content

An interesting non-profit - blind artists

One of the things I'm working on for the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome Network that in a previous post I included under "outreach projects" is I'm building a database of every non-profit or government agency that serves the visually impaired. The truth is we just can't rely on doctors to diagnose Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome. I'm hoping to engage the greater blind/low vision community to help us get the word out.

That means that in my research I'm finding all kinds of cool stuff related to blindness and low vision.

This evening I found a non-profit based in Philly called National Exhibits by Blind Artists. They have an annual art competition and organize national touring shows for winners.

I must confess, one reason I've never taken my artwork past "hobby" and never studied art seriously is that it always bugged me that I could never tell if people that were responding positively to my artwork were really responding to the work, or the fact that I did it. If you have no expectations anything can be impressive. No one expects a legally blind person to be interested or good at art - although I have many legally blind friends who are talented artists. I have one friend who is legally blind and actually makes her living solely on her art.

It's for that reason I've always viewed many of these programs with a bit of skepticism. But, hey, I've got to tell you - these guys are promoting some very talented artists and they just happen to be blind. So, I'm giving them a plug and hoping you'll check out some of their work online. http://nebaart.org/2007/index.htm

As for me, these guys are out of my league - at least for now.

My big goal in artland is that someday I hope to have enough paintings completed at one time to do a show anywhere - and I'd like to use the show to promote HPS. I'd like to do it as a fundraiser, but to be honest, that will depend on the venue and whether I happen to fall into the catagory of "starving artist" by then.

Funny story - when I finished college it took me a year to find my first job. I ran into a lot of discrimination. During that time I did sell some of my artwork - ironic isn't it. I was a starving writer making ends meet by artwork. I have to give my mom the credit though. She was my "promoter." I'm so not good at that stuff!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...