Skip to main content

Albino Island - Update from Tanzania

This is an update on the situation in Tanzania. Noel brought it to my attention. Thanks Noel! The article appeared in The Sun from the U.K.



Welcome to Albino Island


By DAVID LOWE
Published: 09 Dec 2008

WITH their milky white skin, wispy hair and haunting, pale eyes, they are called “the living ghosts” by locals.

And the vulnerable albinos of Tanzania in East Africa have more than insults to fear.
They are being hunted down and hacked to death to satisfy a growing demand for their body parts and blood to use in black magic.

It is the stuff of nightmares.

In the Mwanga district, near Mount Kilimanjaro, a baby girl was dressed in black by her mother and left alone in the family hut.

A group of men cut off the pale girl’s legs, slit her throat, poured the blood into a pot and drank it.

In another sickening case a man was caught trying to enter the Democratic Republic of Congo with an albino child’s HEAD in his luggage.

He said a businessman in the country had offered to pay generously for the trophy, depending on the weight of the head.

The stories go on. A 35-year-old fisherman at Lake Tanganyika allegedly attempted to sell his 24-year-old albino wife to two businessmen from Congo for around £2,000.

And just last week, in the province of Shinyanga, 13-year-old albino Elizabeth Hussein was tempted from her home after hearing that a film about Jesus was to be screened in the village.

On the way back she was hacked apart by a machete-armed mob. Her limbs were found at the home of a witch doctor — who fled cops following a tip-off.
Two days later 47-year-old Ezekiel John, 47, was shot and had his arms and legs severed near the city of Kigoma.

These latest killings bring the number of brutal deaths of albinos in Tanzania to 35 in just a year.

The minority community also suffers massive prejudice. Not only do they struggle to get jobs but the kids also need bodyguards to get to school safely.

To read the rest of the story, visit: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/real_life/article2017493.ece

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...