Skip to main content

The weather outside is frightful

This has to be a quick post. I’m at work and I’m on deadlines today. But, for friends and family, (mom just called from Germany worried) yes, I know there’s an ice storm headed for me. I just watched the news on my lunch break and they’re forecasting 1 to 2 inches of ice. They are warning us that we’ll lose power tonight.

I’m going to get the earliest bus I can home from work. I need to go to the bank and the pharmacy on the way home. I’m out of three of my meds and I want to get cash. The last time Kansas City had a huge ice storm I was out of power for 10 days, and none of the ATMs worked. Businesses were open, but were cash only.

Please don’t call my cell phone. I’m trying to keep it charged and it’s having a hard time holding a charge these days. If the power goes out and things get bad, I’ll try to call Ryan and let him know how I am. Remember my home phone goes through the computer, so if the power is out, I won’t have a home phone. Carmen will take care of the HPS adults listserv, but we’re having a hard time with her permissions for the parent list so I’m not sure if she’ll be able to take care of that one – but it’s been pretty quiet anyway.

Hopefully I’ll have power tonight to blog some more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...