Skip to main content

Guest blogger Carmen Camacho and the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome Puerto Rico Conference

Carmen Camacho serves on the HPS Network Board of Directors. She was able to attend the conference in Puerto Rico and helped with translation. Below are her impressions from her trip to Puerto Rico to attend the HPS Puerto Rico Conference. Thanks Carmen for sharing your impressions with us!

It has been a crazy week. I got back from Puerto Rico on Sunday night and I haven't had time to post yet. I was dying to tell you about my trip.

For those who don't know, last weekend we celebrated the second annual HPS conference in Puerto Rico. Liz Diaz, Donna and Ashley also participated in the conference. It was amazing to see the Network grow to the point that we have a Puerto Rico Branch. Ivette Vazquez and Richi Rangel are the board directors and they mobilized the island for this conference. We were in the newspapers, on the morning news and on the radio. There was no one that didn't know we were having a conference.

Dr Markello, Dr Meredith Dr Guchicco and of course, Dr Gahl and Kevin from the NIH where also with us. Jose, who schedules visits to the NIH, came with us too. People had a chance to meet Jose and to pair a voice with a face.

We were all busy; Liz and the PR Board went to newspapers, TV and radio for an interview. Hilda, Kevin and Dr Markello, spent part of there time visiting families with HPS. Donna, Ashley, Kevin and I, visited the Trauma center and the school of medicine, with the objective of getting the HPS in their teaching curriculum and to spread the word about this condition.

At times, it was sad for me to see how my own community was ignorant about HPS and how many misconceptions local doctors have about this condition. These misconceptions varied from thinking that all people with HPS have oculocutaneous albinism to the thought that the pulmonary fibrosis related to HPS is not "as bad" as other fibrosis of the lungs. Thanks to this trip and the conference, hopefully people are more educated and better prepared to deal with HPS.

We visited the school for the blind, Escuela Loaiza Cordero. There, we met students, teachers and parents of children's with HPS. It was fun and interesting. Donna and Hilda answered question about HPS and albinism.

On Friday night, doctors were invited to a private forum that included dinner and the opportunity to discuss this condition in depth with the NIH team. We had about 40 doctors that participated in the forum and they all seem very interested. A lot of great questions were asked.

Then came Saturday, heaven to my eyes. I never saw so many people like me in Puerto Rico. For the last 14 years, I had the HPS Network supporting my family and me. It was a dream come true, to see how the Network has grown, and my people now have what I had enjoyed for 14 years. I was speechless and full of emotion to see this growth. I was exited that the local doctors were interested and that HPS has a place now in medicine.

I am glad that the film crew from Stanford were there capturing all on tape. Since I was running around so much; I can barely remember the whole thing. The emotions are all with me, the details I will have to watch video, like my wedding!!!

I wish you guys were there to see it. The HPS PR branch is already working on the 3rd annual HPS conference (2008) most likely to be celebrated in Ponce. I'm all ready for the next conference!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...