Skip to main content

I’m home!

Everyone in this photo has Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome. This was the photo taken at the end of the 14th Annual HPS Family Conference. In total, the conference had 220 attendees - these are only the attendees with HPS whose flights hadn't already left by the end of the last day.


I’m home from the 14th annual Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family conference and, well, I’m TIRED! It’s as if I went off to another dimension and have just been plopped back into the world of reality. The house is still dirty and in desperate need of some TLC and tomorrow morning God only knows what’s waiting at work. I’m not checking my work e-mail tonight in hopes of preventing any going-to-press crisis from affecting some much needed sleep tonight. I can’t do anything about any problems tonight anyway.

Getting to the HPS conference isn’t easy. It can be expensive and hard to get off of work – but, for me, it’s as important (probably more so) than anything else I could be doing to better my health. I don’t even have the words to explain what it’s like to spend an entire weekend with people just like yourself who really do understand all that you’ve been through and all that you think about on a regular basis. It’s as if this undercurrent of stress that perhaps you’re not even aware of much of the time is suddenly gone.

This may sound very strange, but in the middle of the HPS conference amid pictures of cells and discussions of treatments is where I feel most like the HPS “thing” has been removed temporarily and life is back to “normal.” The HPS conference is such a respite from the real world.

Over the next few days I’ll be posting lots of pictures and blogging a lot about the conference – but for tonight I’m a little tired and not feeling entirely eloquent.

I will say that two new protocols were announced at the conference – one for GI issues and for pulmonary fibrosis. I am going to blog about the GI one first in hopes that Katy’s family might find that useful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...