Skip to main content

I am not a happy camper


Pictured are Tina with her new guide dog Rosa.
This evening was supposed to be fun. My friend Tina, who has been running the Adventure Fitness Camp Fire program for blind and visually impaired youth, is moving jobs and will be working for the school for the blind. Tonight we’d planned a special surprise party for her. I really, really, wanted to be there. I wanted to be there to celebrate all that she’s accomplished. I wanted to be there to see all the camp fire friends I hardly ever see anymore now that I’ve cut back my time volunteering. I wanted to see all the kids again.

We were going to surprise Tina, have some dinner at Waldo Pizza, and then go to a folk music concert. I’ve been looking forward to it for weeks.

But it just wasn’t meant to be. I started the day by completely sleeping through church. I had intended to go because I felt pretty well rested (having missed work on Friday.) I even washed my hair the night before and had all my clothes laid out ready to go. I vaguely remember the alarm going off, I think. Usually if I hit the snooze button it goes off again in 10 minutes. I guess I didn’t hit the snooze, or I slept through the next alarm. At any rate, I woke up about 11:30 am, about the time church was ending. Groan!

I then started to get ready for the day. It’s ostomy changing day – so, I did my thing. I thought all was good. An hour later it was leaking. I hadn’t even eaten anything yet for the day, and already the pouch was filling up with liquid. I changed it again, and again – I’m on bag number four and it’s held for a few hours now. Now the skin is red and irritated.

But, I cancelled going to Tina’s party.

I was afraid I’d get there only to have to get someone to leave the event to drive me home again. I was afraid that eating pizza wouldn’t go over well. Or, I’d make it to the concert only to have a disaster event there. So, I stayed home.

GROAN!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...